Elegance in Simplicity

Happy Friday! I have been on writing overload since I started school again.  Between mass emailing at work and writing 15 page papers my fingers sometimes do not want to type one more word.

However, we always seem to find room for the things we love.

                               

I had a conversation last night that really opened my eyes to something.  We were up late discussing work and I made the point that it seemed like the more money you made the easier your job was (most of the time, of course there are exceptions--doctors, attorney's and CEO's come to mind).  I was referring to the fact that as I move further along in my nursing education I will get to move to the more "cushy" side of the nursing world.  Yes, more responsibility can be stressful but you don't have to do all the grunt work.  I won't be physically running my butt off every day and having to deal with unpleasant smells, sites and situations.

I then began to reminisce about the days I waited tables, how I actually did enjoy it but felt a little sorry for the people I worked with who did that full time.  I guess I have a limited perspective.  It was quickly pointed out to me that a lot of the time those people are the best at what they do and actually love it.  In a second I realized how true that was, I have always said people should choose do what they love no matter the money they will make.  Half our lives are taken up by our jobs, life is to short to spend that time hating what you do.  It kills your soul a little.

I then began thinking about people in my family and how circumstances have happened to cause them to end up in a career they despise.  I think back on how much differently their life, mine and everyone around them would have been had they chosen a career that brought them happiness and meaning.  Happiness or negativity have such a profound effect on our health and emotional state, and in addition the health and emotional state of those around us.

                                                   


To me the idea of simplifying your life has such a broader context beyond career choice.  It applies to everything in our lives: our diets, our exercise routines, our relationships, and our lifestyles.  It was interesting to me too because just before I had this conversation I was thinking how complicated I had allowed my life to become by allowing certain people into it.  When I moved to Houston from Austin over three years ago I had to start over.  I am very accepting of people and did not discriminate at all with new friends.  It was okay for awhile but the end result was a lot of needless stress and drama that I could have avoided completely.  You know what they say about hindsight.  I am going to see how far I can take this simplicity thing, and what kind of effect it does have on my life.

So, I am taking an inventory now and am becoming more aware of the areas in my life that could use a simplicity overhaul.  I know for sure the steps I have made to this point have already made me feel significantly more clear and purposeful.  It's a nice feeling.

As my favorite author and poet once stated, "Our life is frittered away by detail.  Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity!" -Henry David Thoreau

Healthy weekly recipe:

6 Decadent (But Healthy!) Chia Seed Dessert Recipes

Chia Pudding with Kiwi and Pomegranate Seeds
Place 3 tbsp of chia seeds in a mason jar and pour 12 oz of almond milk over them. Shake the jar until the chia seeds are fully immersed in the liquid. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Once seeds have swelled to a tapioca consistency, stir in 1 tsp of coconut sugar. Pour into a serving bowl and top with chopped kiwi fruit and pomegranate seeds.

Have a simply beautiful weekend!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Changes

Authenticity is Sexy

Loyalty is Royalty